Early settlers told of a great celebration of 400 persons gathered at Newport on the Fourth of July in 1866. They met at Newport, a small lumbering and fishing village on the north shore of the Yaquina Bay to celebrate the 90th Anniversary of American Freedom.
Local tribesmen numbering three hundred came to Newport to see the Boston Men raise the American Flag for the Fourth of July Celebration which started with prayers. The prayers were followed by eloquent speeches that admonished everyone to love God and country.
After the ceremonies, everyone partook of a huge feast and in their merriment; someone suggested that the new town become “the San Francisco of Oregon”.
Easterner Sam Case from Maine moved to the Central Oregon Coast and with the help of partner J.R. Bayley, they built the Ocean House to accommodate the growing influx of visitors to Newport in 1866. It was the first building in Newport and it was named after a grandiose hotel in Newport, Rhode Island.
Sam Case built a cottage nearby on the corner of Naterlin Drive and in later years it was known as Ida Ingalls’ home. Newport’s first Post Office was established on July 2,1868 and Sam Case was the first postmaster.