In 1865, Levi Leiter and Marshall Field bought an interest in Palmer’s store and it became known as Field, Palmer and Leiter until 1867 when Palmer sold his interest. The store then became known as Field, Leiter and Company. Marshall Field sent his older brother Joseph to Manchester, England to establish a buying office in 1869.
In 1881, Levi Leiter retired and the store became known as Marshall Field and Company. Field continued to lead the company and he became known as the world’s foremost merchant.
Marshall Field took over the store and soon instituted retailing policies that revolutionized the department store world. He would post the price of the goods in plain sight, thus ending a policy of haggling and charging whatever the buyer would pay.
In addition, he would stand behind his merchandise and would gladly refund the full price of any item bought in his store. He immortalized the slogan ”Give the lady what she wants”.